250 killed, 900 wounded in Libyan battle for power: WHO

World Health Organization reveals more than 200 people have been killed and 900 others wounded so far in Libya in the recent battle for control of the capital city Tripoli that broke on April 4.

WHO added the United Nations-recognized government would seek for international action against military leader Khalifa Haftar and his prosecution in the International Criminal Court (ICC).

Meanwhile, an arrest warrant has also been issued for General Hafter by the country’s unity government for allegedly ordering deadly air strike against civilian areas.

Six of Haftar’s officers too have been named in the warrant.

A tweet by WHO confirms medical specialists have been deployed in Libya to support front-line hospitals.

WHO adds more than a dozen civilians have been killed too in the fighting.

Lately armed groups attacked the Tamanhint airbase near Sabha in the southern part of Libya which is mostly controlled by Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA).

According to International Organization for Migration at least 25,000 people have been displaced.

A tweet by WHO confirms medical specialists have been deployed in Libya to support front-line hospitals.

Earlier, France had given support to Haftar considering him as the best bet to bring to end disorder in Libya, but lately it said to be backing the government in Tripoli.

A French presidential official said, “As we have already stated on several occasions, France supports the legitimate government of Prime Minister Sarraj and the mediation of the UN for an inclusive political solution in Libya.”

Related Stories

Renewed war in Libya could risk oil production, export
UN-backed Libyan government calls LNA’s attack on airport a war crime

Paul Linus