The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) are currently getting underground and may resurge in future, warns General Joseph Votel, who is in charge of the Middle East.
Addressing to the House Armed Service Committee the commander of US Central Command added physical territory of the terror group is a monumental military accomplishment and fight against terrorism is far from over.
Votel said the surrender of fighters is not surrender of ISIS as an organization but it is a calculated decision to preserve safety of their families.
He added, “Recent observations by our men and women on the ground highlight that the ISIS population being evacuated from the remaining vestiges of the caliphate largely remains unrepentant, unbroken and radicalized.”
Late last year president Trump said the fight against ISIS is over as the organization is defeated in Syria and so he would withdraw all of the 2,000 US troops.
However, lately the Trump administration announced 400 US troops will be left behind.
The ISIS once controled an area of about 34,000 square miles, but now has been limited to less than a single square mile.
Votel said a vigilant offensive is to be maintained against the widely dispersed organization.
Votel is retiring this month.
- Mexico using giant X-ray machines at borders to stop hidden migrants in trucks - July 10, 2019
- Solar Eclipse & Fear, Superstition, Violence - July 5, 2019
- Study finds Xinjiang schools separating Uighurs children from families - July 4, 2019