Indonesian defeated presidential candidate challenges election commission in court

Indonesia’s defeated presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto knocked the doors of court Friday challenging the announcement of General Election Commission (KPU) earlier this week that says Joko Widodo (Jokowi) emerged as winner with 55.5 percent votes.

Prabowo claimed the elections were widespread cheating favoring Jokowi. Thousands of his supporters took to the streets against the final result in capital Jakarta.

The two-night violence killed eight people and injured 737 others.

Election agency has denied of any wrongdoing saying there is no evidence of systematic cheating. Independent observers too said the elections were free and fair.

Prabowo’s running mate Sandiaga Uno said, “The process of submitting the dispute lawsuit and other legal efforts are steps to ensure that we can carry election results that are free and fair.”

Prabowo lost the 2014 presidential elections too to Widodo. He objected the result and lodged complaint with Constitutional Court.

Meanwhile, police has detained hundreds of protesters who are alleged to have taken part in the riots.

Two of them are learned being members of a group linked to ISIS.

More than 50,000 police and forces have been deployed in the capital.

Paul Linus