United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called Sunday for an immediate halt to fighting in Libyan capital Tripoli that is endangering civilians and undermining prospects.
Adding further in a statement that Washington was deeply concerned, Pompeo said all sides should de-escalate the situation urgently and return to negotiations.
He said, “This unilateral military campaign against Tripoli is endangering civilians and undermining prospects for a better future for all Libyans.”
According to the country’s UN-backed government about 21 people including Red Crescent doctor have been killed in the fighting and Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj is accusing rebel forces under Gen Khalifa Haftar of coup attempt.
Since Thursday General Haftar’s Libyan National Army (LNA) forces have been carrying out attacks on Tripoli from the south and west parts. Call for a humanitarian truce by UN has been ignored and emergency services have been barred from entering the areas where the two sides are fighting.
Pompeo said all sides should de-escalate the situation urgently and return to negotiations.
Haftar had earlier said his forces have seized the international airport and on Saturday launched its first air strike as a reciprocate to air strikes by Government of National Accord (GNA).
UN will be pulling out its non-essential staff. Italian oil and gas company Eni has announced to be evacuating all its Italian personnel and similarly India has pulled out its full contingent of 15 Central Reserve Police Force peacekeepers from Tripoli.
- Mexico using giant X-ray machines at borders to stop hidden migrants in trucks - July 10, 2019
- Solar Eclipse & Fear, Superstition, Violence - July 5, 2019
- Study finds Xinjiang schools separating Uighurs children from families - July 4, 2019