Venezuela announces electricity rationing plan following another power outage

Venezuela is going into electricity rationing policy to overcome nationwide blackouts that have become a norm in the country lately. President Nicolas Maduro announced Sunday on national television a 30-day plan for the people.

The president said new rationing plan of electricity would address intermittent power outages and warned against demonstrations in response to it.

Power across the country went out on Friday, on Saturday, on Sunday, and lately almost every day. Some electricity resumed Sunday afternoon and it was not considered as much to celebrate as fear persists when the next outages will again bring sufferings.

Earlier this month Venezuela suffered worst blackouts and with it the ongoing humanitarian crisis was intensified. There was no water, cell phone couldn’t be charged, Venezuelan cannot make payment through cards and so on.

The president said new rationing plan of electricity would address intermittent power outages and warned against demonstrations in response to it.

Meanwhile, opposition leader Juan Guaido said Maduro is to be blamed for the blackouts as his government neglected keeping the electricity systems fit and fine over the years.

Maduro on the other hand alleged the cause is due to US-led sabotage. He however failed to give any clear evidence to it.

Related Stories

Red Cross announced sending humanitarian aid to Venezuela
Venezuela bars opposition leader from public office for 15 years

Paul Linus