Trump administration has retreated from what was earlier announced for US troops in Syria. Instead of complete withdrawal it is now decided to keep a small contingent of 200 personnel in the war-torn country.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said, “A small peace keeping group of about 200 will remain in Syria for period of time.”
Late last year President Trump ordered full withdrawal of the US troops from Syria saying Islamic State militants have been completely defeated.
The decision came as a surprise to some lawmakers and all foreign allies.
Following criticism from some of the lawmakers Trump’s tweet then read, “We have defeated ISIS in Syria, my only reason for being there during the Trump Presidency.”
GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina praised Trump’s decision lately for leaving a small contingent of US troops in Syria instead of withdrawing completely.
Graham said, “The decision by President Trump to be a part of a stabilizing force will ensure that all the gains we have achieved in Syria will not be lost.”
It is learned the 200 troops will be deployed in At-Tanf area which is near the Iraq and Jordan border, and in northeast Syria.
Latest posts by Paul Linus (see all)
- 39th President Jimmy Carter is now oldest living former president - March 21, 2019
- US recognizes Israel’s Sovereignty over Golan Heights - March 21, 2019
- Fugitive Indian diamond tycoon Nirav Modi arrested in London - March 20, 2019